Thursday, August 13, 2015

Applesauce-Spice bundt cake with Caramel Icing

Happy Day before Friday! Hope you are all enjoying your week, and that if you're in back to school mode, everything is going well! I can't believe it's almost the weekend! I'm planning on going up North, I was hoping for this weekend, but my brother wants to go up with me, and not sure if he can get time off until next weekend.


Today it's my absolute pleasure to share with you, possibly the best cake my husband and Father in law, who stopped by yesterday for a slice or two, said I've ever made so far; Applesauce-Spice cake with Caramel Icing. It's an amazing spice-filled with appley goodness that tastes and smells like fall.



It's all about the apples, and how crisp and sweet they taste! 
The juicier the better!
The apples on my mother's apple tree are almost ready! 
I'm going to check on them this weekend, but I couldn't wait!
I wanted a bite of caramel apple this week!


The need to feel the crisp morning air and the thoughts of Fall,
are what  drove me to bake this Applesauce-Spice bundt cake.
I'm so glad I did, because the fragrance of Apple Spice, 
filled my house with the cake's yummy scent!

Instead of oil, I prefer to use butter, it gives
baked goods a richer taste to them.
Creaming the sugar, butter and beating the eggs together,
makes the cake moister.



The end result! This cake turned out super moist,
It was sweet to see my father in law, enjoying his slice
with a cup of coffee!
It made the perfect mid-day treat!

When I go to update this recipe, I want to use my
mother's apples to make home made applesauce for this cake!

Applesauce- Spice bundt cake with Caramel Icing adapted from Food52
Serves 10
For the cake:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened (preferably homemade) applesauce
  • 2/3 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the caramel icing:
  • 4 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12-cup Bundt pan. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices and set aside. In a mixing bowl using a standing mixer, cream the butter and the sugars together until light and fluffly. Add one egg at a time, beating well, and scraping down the sides of the bowl, before adding the next egg. Mix in the applesauce, and vanilla until smooth.

2. Mix in the dry ingredients.Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, or the top springs back when lightly touched, and the sides of the cake begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.

3.Cool the cake for 10 minutes in the pan on a rack before turning it out and cooling completely on the rack -- make sure the cake completely cooled before you start to make the glaze.

4.  Put the butter in a medium saucepan with the brown sugar, cream and salt and set over medium heat. Watch as the brown sugar melts and begins to simmer. Let simmer for one minute. No longer than a minute or the sugar might burn. Then pull the caramel off the heat.

5. Leave the pan to cool for a couple of minutes, and then gradually whisk in the powdered sugar until you have a thick, but pourable consistency (you might not need all the sugar). If the mixture seems too thick, just add a splash of cream to thin it out a little. Immediately pour the icing over the cake. Let the icing set before serving the cake.

As always, I saved a slice for you!


Wishing you all a beautiful day!
Until next time!
 Sharing this at these Parties!


If you love this recipe, then you are really going to like my


13 comments:

  1. Yum! I am ready for some apple recipes too. My brother has a little stand of apple trees at his house and I cannot wait to see if he has too many and has to share again this year! Last year I got a couple of 5 gallon buckets full from him. That made a winter's worth of applesauce for us (mostly Jax... he didn't share much!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try this recipe...sounds delicious and your cake is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh!!! This looks so delicious!!! I love applesauce spice cake and will definitely be making this recipe and using that caramel icing..caramel is so YUM!!! I have a great recipe I need to share after we move for applesauce spice cake baked in canning jars. My mouth is watering...are you putting that in the mail, like right now???!!! ;-) Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious CB! The smell of apples and spices are one of my favorites! Thanks for the slice ;-)
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This looks so delicious! I love Bundt cakes. :) I bet the frosting topped it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your cake looks so good. Thanks for sharing it at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good! I'm ready for fall baking, caramel and spice and everything nice. :-) Thanks for sharing your recipe. I've pinned it for future reference (hopefully later this week - ha!). Blessings~
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake looks delicious! Thank you for joining the Merry Monday Link Party!

    Leanne,
    Urban Girl Bakes,
    http://www.urbangirlbakes.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tummy!! This looks delicious!! Thanks for Linking up at My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Hope to see you again this week!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious. I haven't used applesauce in a bundt cake. I'm going to give this a try. Pinned to my dessert board. Thanks for sharing on Snickerdoodle Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great day and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I pinned this! It sounds so delicious!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cake sounds wonderful. My oldest son LOVES any cake with applesauce in it...so moist. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete