Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Sweet Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Can you believe that tomorrow is really Christmas Eve??

Christmas morning is a very magical and wonderous time. The children are all excited, jumping out of their beds, to check on their presents under the tree and their stockings that are stuffed, and before they get busy opening their gifts, I pop some cinnamon rolls in the oven, smelling the house up with their warm, sweet spices. My mom passed this tradition down to me, and now I'm passing it on to my children. Ok, now the truth, in the past years, I usually worked, yes, worked at some point during Christmas Day, especially the last four years, and the cinnamon rolls I usually made were Pillsbury. Now that I am a stay at home mom again, I took on the challange to make these delicious sweet rolls by scratch, and I have to say it was easier than I expected. Other than the waiting tine for the dough to rise, once the dough is rolled and the sugar/cinnamon filling is sprinkled on, they baked up in about 20 minutes. Oh, and I almost forgot, I got the biggest laugh at watching my daughter slathering the butter on the rolled out dough, watching the melted butter oozing out of her hands, Oh my goodness, she was having a blast.



Here is the yeast starter, ten minutes after the yeast, sugar and warm water are gently stirred together.


After the flour is added to the yeast starter, ( after being kneaded for 5 minutes, coated with canola oil on top, then left in a warm place to rise) and has doubled it size in about 60 minutes, Lindsay packed a punch. Next, the dough gets rolled out on a floured surface 14"x19". Can you see the dental floss, that comes very handy!!

This is my youngest daughter Lindsay, isn't she cute as a button!! After helping my daughter to slather the butter on the dough and sprinkle the sugar cinnamon filling, I didn't get anymore pictures, but when I do make these again, I will come back and edit this post. The dental floss seriously does help to cut the dough cleanly, without tearing or smashing it.

I first looked at The Pioneer Woman's recipe, but I realized she was baking 4 pans, then I found this perfect recipe at The Picky Palate.

From my family to yours, Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, and a Prosperous New Year!!

sharing at

1 comment:

  1. Christine, it's been so long since I made homemade cinnamon rolls....TOO long! Thank you for the tip about slicing the rolls off with floss- I always forget that tip when it's time to cut them! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete