Thursday, January 8, 2015

DIY Coastal Watercolor Wall Art

Lately, I have been finding water color projects really fun and easy. My first project was my           Watercolor Mug , which clearly is my top pinned DIY. Honestly, I still don't feel like I have an artistic bone in my body. It's pinspiration like this that shows me how anyone can create and have beautiful watercolor art hanging in their homes, for next to nothing,  This whole project cost me around $5, and I have leftover supplies for future projects.


The supplies I used were watercolor pencils, watercolor paper, and a flat brush, and this free          Vintage Seahorse image from The Graphics Fairy

On one of the sunny days we had this week, I taped the paper over the clip art image on a window, and traced the seahorse onto the watercolor paper. Now let the fun begin! I then colored in the seahorse with blue, navy, green and purple. Here's what the seahorse looked like before I started the watercolor process.



The next step is to blend the watercolor pencils, and this was pretty amazing. Using a flat brush, get it barely wet. I used a wash cloth to dab the brush on before going over the areas for the 'watercolor' effect. Being able to blend the colors together, or simply creating a watercolor mark around the edges, brings this stunning piece of art alive. This is what my seahorse looked like after the blending.


After this one, not only did my girls want to try, and make their own creations, but next time, I want to try a seahorse of another color, definitely orange and coral. The possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

  1. very pretty love all the blues which my favorite color
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete