Friday, September 11, 2015

In Memory of 9/11 and a Remembrance Rose

Happy Fri-Yay! I am so glad you stopped by to visit me today! 
Hope you've had an amazing week! 

First I wanted to stop and remember those who lost their lives 
in the Twin Tower Terrorist Attacks 14 years ago!
This is a White Rose for remembrance!



Yesterday, neither of the girls wanted to go with me to the Rose Society Meeting, which was ok, they will have more fun helping me in the garden than listening to someone talking about pruning roses. I learned a couple of great tips that I'm going to pass onto my mother and see if she's heard of these before. One she doesn't have to worry about, because the climate is milder up where she lives, but besides Winter pruning, I have never heard of Fall grooming, that you start to prune back in thirds (every two weeks), the front first, than the middle and finally the back of your rose bush, around September 21, when the night time temperatures start to cool down. Leaving the back of the roses taller, helps shade the front of the rose bush, and in a month by the time you prune the back, the front of the rose already has new growth on it! I'm not sure if this applies where you live, but if you live in the Southwest desert, than this will make sense. The other tip was from now until before Thanksgiving, to fertilize with Arizona's Best Citrus Food, it is less expensive than rose fertilizer and works just as well. So we will see!

This is a post I wrote back in 2006 on my old blog, that I dug up! If you'd like to read the post and comments you can find that HERE!




This remembrance is made possible by D.C.Roe's idea to commemorate the lives of those killed in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
For a complete list of *2996 coalition of volunteer blogger participants, please click HERE*
This was wonderful me to feel some connection to the angels of 9/11. Naomi was the same age as my father when he passed away at 52. Which I consider too young! I also share her love and passion for the art of music. I enjoy Broadway musicals and I have a dream that my 12 yr old daughter will continue her love of the violin and one day play for a great Orchestra. Here is Naomi's story.
Naomi Leah Solomon lived in New York City until she was 10, but then moved to California when her father, Herbert, who took a job at Stanford University. Naomi, 52, enjoyed being a classical pianist in her spare time, and was also a big fan of musicals and Broadway show tunes. She became one of the first female vice presidents at Bank of America, and spent many years as an executive at Chase Manhattan.
She left behind the world of banking for Callixa, (a small California software vendor), and moved back to New York City. She was at the World Trade Center on Sept. 11. attending a conference on information technology at Windows on the World, the restaurant on the 106th floor of Tower One.
Naomi was loved and will forever be missed by her parents, Dr. Herbert and Lottie Solomon, and her brothers Mark and Jed who are lawyers in San Francisco,CA.

Where was I when the world stopped turning?
My husband had called me first thing in the morning and woke me up with the news that All Fights were grounded because of the Terrorists Attacks, and the destruction of the Twin Towers. My mom was visiting, and I remember holding my son, Josh who had just turned one in July, while I talked to my husband on the phone with my other hand (land line NOT cell)! Then, on my way to work in Scottsdale up the 101 Fwy, which is directly in the Flight path to PHX International Airport, you can see planes anytime during the day. All I could see were clear skies. Instead of the hearing the noise of Low-Flying planes, there was this eerie dead silence.
What were you doing on September 11, 2001?

 
Wishing you all a beautiful weekend!
Until next time!
xo,

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful rose and post Christine! All of the stories were so sad and touched me deeply. I have a friend who worked for Cantor Fitzgerald. He happened to be off work that day...an usual thing for him. He lost every single one of his co-workers. A few months later, one of his co-worker's business cards came floating down into his yard....that story still gives me chills! Hugs and hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete