Friday, February 6, 2015

Blueberry-Lemon cupcakes with Lemon Cream cheese frosting

One of my favorite things are lemons. I like my sweet tea with lemon, I love lemon meringue pie, and anything with a lemon-blueberry combination is my absolute favorite of them all.
When I was pregnant with my son I craved lemons like crazy, so much that my husband who worked at a bakery was sweet enough to bring me home a lemon meringue pie. What's even more strange to me, is that my son loves lemons too. Hmmmm...Wonder if there is a connection!!
What I love most about these cupcakes, is first they are made from scratch, and I can adjust the sugar amount. The second is, they are so moist and creamy, and have that lemon flavor I love, making them a perfect teatime or any time treat!

The very first time I made these, they turned out the ugliest color. Not quite purple, not quite blue, almost the color of a really bad bruise. I'm still trying to tweak this recipe, but now, when I make these cupcakes, they have a very pretty blue marble color to them.


Here are three tips I've learned from making these, over and over again.
1. I prefer making them with fresh blueberries, but frozen are fine too.
2. Completely thaw them, if you are using frozen. Then drain them completely.
3. Coat them with a couple Tablespoons of flour. They may look pasty, but this actually help your cupcakes from turning all blue.
Unless, blue cupcakes are what you're looking for, then skip the third step.
For the frosting, I like to use a recipe I learned from my Baking chef. I use with my Buttercream, and Cheesecake frostings. It's a 1 to 1 recipe. For example, I used 4 oz of unsalted butter softened, with 4 oz. of  softened cream cheese. Buttercream is the same, I use 4 oz. of Crisco with 4 oz of unsalted butter,softened. This works great, because I can double it or triple it with no guess work.
Guess what I am doing right now as I am writing this post? That's right! Drinking a cup of tea and enjoying one of my sweet Blueberry-Lemon cupcakes!!
Blueberry-Lemon cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese frosting
1and 2/3 cup All purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup  unsalted butter
3/4 cup  granulated sugar
1/2 cup  light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup Greek plain yogurt
3/4 cup  whole milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Zest from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries ( I thawed mine, for the marbling, if you are wanting a whiter cupcake do not thaw)
Frosting:
4 oz. unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
4 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  1. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
  2. In a mixing bowl, I creamed the butter and the sugar, until they are well combined, and look soft and creamy.
  3. Then I add the egg, lemon juice, lemon zest, milk, vanilla, and yogurt. Mix until well combined.
  4. After that, add the flour slowly. The batter will be somewhat thick.
  5. If your blueberries are thawed, drain them.
  6. For both fresh and frozen blueberries, before folding them, coat them in a couple tablespoons of flour.
  7. Then fold blueberries in gently.
  8. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Until the tops spring back when lightly touched, or insert a toothpick to see if it comes out clean

For the frosting:
  1. Beat the butter and cream cheese together on medium speed, until they are well combined and look smooth and creamy. Stop and scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
  2. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat together, until well combined.
  3. Add the powdered sugar slowly. Stop and scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
  4. Mix 1 Tablespoon of milk. If frosting is too thick, and another Tablespoon of milk.
Frost completely cooled cupcakes, immediately. I used, Wilton's 1M tip.
Garnish with blueberries.



Wishing you all a great weekend!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. I wish I had the ingredients in my house to make these right now! Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cupcakes are awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband would love these!! He loves anything lemony...Going to have to try!! Hey I would love for you to share your stuff on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday-Link Party that starts tomorrow!! I would love to have you!! http://www.cookinandcraftin.com/my-2-favorite-things-on-thursday-link-party-6/

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful. Thanks for sharing at Funtastic Friday. Hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello beautiful! This looks so amazing. I can't wait to try it. Pinned and tweeted. Thank you for being a part of our party and we hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm. We can't wait to party with you! Happy Valentines' Day! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete