Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Coconut White Velvet cake with Pineapple curd and Coconut Cream cheese frosting


Good morning! How has your week been going? As you can see, I still haven't packed up my Easter decorations yet! I am just in love with this bunny vase/pot!
You know what's funny is he is a White Rabbit!

Not to get off the subject, but did anyone see (and I don't normally watch), but this past Dancing with the Stars, it was Disney theme!
One of the dance couples was Alice in Wonderland and the White Rabbit! (videos at bottom of post)
Why is that funny about my White Rabbit, you ask?
This may not come as a surprise to the tens of you that read my little blog, know, I am not particularly fond of White! Don't get me wrong, I think White is very pretty; signifying fresh and clean! For me it just, and I am sorry in advance, but just too plain!
In fact, I cringed when my husband had a special request for me, to make him a White cake, a plain white cake with white frosting! Ugh! I am already looking at bare, white walls, that are driving me nuts!
I am even the same way, when he asks me to make him plain sugar cookies. Again, there is nothing wrong with plain sugar cookies, I just like mine frosted, or at the bare minimal with some sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on top! Ok, so now you know how I feel about white.

I love the white bunny, but I would really love him, if he were a pastel shade of pink, green or blue!
Fast forward to last night, when I told my husband what I was making, you could see a sparkle in his eye! That made me smile, because, we've learned to compromise a little bit!

 I love the fact he likes to keep things simple, and he loves that I like to Jazz things up a bit!
Another thing I know my husband loves is pineapple. Originally, I was thinking white cake with lemon curd, which would be amazing too! With Mother's Day coming, I wanted a little something  that speaks Summer is coming. Nothing reminds me more of summer than sipping a Pina Colada under a Cabana with my toes in the sand! Pineapple and coconut sound incredibly divine!


Coconut White Velvet cake with Pineapple curd and Coconut Cream cheese frosting
(adapted from Baking with Rose)

for the cake:

5 egg whites at room temperature
1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
3 2/3 cup sifted cake flour
3 Tbls + 1 tsp. baking powder ( I use Clabber girl)
1 cup Coconut cream milk
1/4 cup whole milk
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. coconut flavoring

for pineapple curd:
1 (15 oz can) crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup. unsalted butter, cut in pieces
3 eggs
1 Tbls. all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar

for the coconut cream cheese frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
8 oz. cream cheese
5-6 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. coconut flavoring
2 Tbls. coconut cream milk
 Garnish with sweetened coconut flakes

Directions for the cake:


1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter 2-9in. cake pans.
2. In a medium bowl lightly combine the egg whites, 1/2 cup coconut cream, vanilla, and coconut flavoring.
3. In a large bowl, combine, the flour, salt and baking powder.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Scrape down sides of the bowl with a spatula.
5.  Mixing on low speed, add half of the flour mixture until well combined. Scrape down sides of bowl Add the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut milk, mix until well combined. Scrape down sides, and then add the remaining half of the flour mixture. Scrape down sides. Lastly, add the 1/4 cup of milk, mix until well combined.
6. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 25-35 minutes (mine took about 30 minutes), until you see slight browning on top, the tops of the cake spring back when touched, the sides of the cake pull away from the sides, and inserting a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
7. Cool the cakes completely, mine always take longer than 10 minutes. Loosen the sides with a knife, and invert on to a plate or wire rack.

 

Directions for Pineapple Curd:


Using a blender, blend the crushed pineapple, until it looks smooth. Pour it into a small pot, on low. Add the butter, eggs, flour and sugar, and cook, stirring often. I like to keep an eye on my curds, because, if the curd gets too hot on the bottom of the pot, the curd could become lumpy. If you keep slowly stirring, the curd will have a nice silky even consistency. When the crud is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, take it off the heat to cool. When it is completely cooled, it will become thickened, but too thick. Spread evenly on top of the completely cooled bottom cake layer. Store in airtight container for 3-5 days in the refridgerator. The recipe called for 1 Tbls. of lemon juice, I didn't add this as I didn't want the added acid. Pineapple, is acidy enough for me.


Directions for Coconut Cream Cheese frosting:


In a stand up mixer cream the butter and cream cheese together. Scrape the sides of the bowl down. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar. Scrape the sides of the bowl down. Add the vanilla, coconut flavoring, and 2 Tbls. coconut cream; beat until well blended. Again, scrape the sides of the bowl down. Add the remaining 2-3 cups powdered sugar. It depends on how thick you want your frosting. I am good with 2 2/3 cups. Store unused frosting in airtight container for 3-5 days in the refridgerator.


After frosting the cake, garnish with sweetened coconut flakes. Serve and Enjoy!

As always I saved a slice for you! Until next time!
Munching Mondays

15 comments:

  1. I have never had pineapple curd, but I am sure I would love it!! What a great idea! My dad's birthday cake request is always white cake with white frosting as well. At least you can always add sprinkles ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CB,
    My husband would love this because of the coconut! I have not watched DWTS, but my girls have it recorded...I was told I have to watch it because it was Disney themed ;-)
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, this looks and sounds delicious! Wish we were closer ~ we could have a Pina Colada and discuss the cake. :) Seriously, I can't wait to try this!

    I'm not a lover of all things "white" either but I see so many beautiful homes and decor and yes, it looks pristine and fresh I think. We can't all be alike so I'll just stay with all my color.

    I'm a new follower and I look forward to getting to know you! Stop by and say hi when you can ~

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just love Coconut Cake and I think your Pineapple Curd puts this one over the top. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Come Back Soon
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This look so good. I am going to have to try these. Thanks for sharing over at the Snickerdoodle Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!!! This sounds like a cocktail in cake form. :) Thank you for bringing your latest make to Snickerdoodle Sunday- hope to see you again when the weekend rolls around.

    Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cooks looks delicious!

    And I'm with you on white. When we first moved into this house nearly all the walls were white and it nearly drove me nuts. I told my husband I felt like we were living in an asylum. But we're slowly getting that changed, one room at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at coconut. Looks delicious. I used pineapple curd in my Dominican Cake I make and I love any baked good with it. Thanks for sharing and hosting WW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! This looks so great! Pinning now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe is so decadent and delicious -- my favorite kind of dessert! Thanks for linking it up at This Is How We Roll Thursday last week. I hope you join us again this week and share more of your great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coconut and cream cheese frosting, I LOVE the combination.I am pinning this for later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You give me the giggles, white is my favorite color! This cake looks amazing, I love coconut and I love pineapple too so this is totally up my alley. Thanks so much for linking this up to the Something to Talk About Link Party. I'm pinning right now to share with my family. Hope you're having a great day, Coco

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so incredible! I'm always so amazed by your talent. Pinned and tweeted. Please join us on Monday at 7 pm and party with us! It is so super fun to see what you have been working on! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete