Sunday, June 21, 2015

DIY Faux Patina Flower Pots

One of my earliest childhood memories, is of my great-grandmother's garden.
She lived in a house built in the early 1900s.
A few things, I remember are that
the wooden floors creaked,
the house smelled old,
and her garden had some of the loveliest
patina covered urns!
I felt like I was running through a Secret Garden!
I was very young maybe 4 or 5,
but there were giant Sunflowers,
 and the prettiest, sweetest
 smelling fragrant roses ever!
Then I would see these urns.
It was not only their rusty charm,
but shades of greens and turquoise,
that caught my eye, even as a small child,
I've been attracted to these colors
As I was planting more basil and peppermint,
 I looked at my old clay pots,
and I knew they needed more color!
Looking at DIYs for faux patina,
I wanted more of a painting technique,
and I found this one.
 
I went out and bought 4 acrylic paints.
*Metallic chocolate brown from Folk Art
*Turquoise
*Bimini Blue
*Spring Green from Apple Barrel
*Mod Podge
First, I completely rinsed out all the debris out of the clay pot, and let it completely dry.
Then I painted the entire outside of the pot with the Chocolate brown.
I love seeing the metallic sparkle it gave.
Let that completely dry.
After that, I mixed the Spring Green and the Bimini Blue together, and watered it down.
First, I painted on a small portion, and dry rubbed it with a cloth towel, until
I saw the desired patina color effect.
It doesn't necessarily have to be dry, when you add the final color turquoise.
Finally, I used a cloth towel to dry rub the turquoise over the spring green/bimini blue combination.
What I love about this DIY, if there is too much of one color, take a damp cloth, and swipe over the area lightly, not to go too far to the chocolate brown,
Or you can go back and add more color in another area, until you are happy with the look of your pot!
*UPDATE* To help protect the colors of the pot from the weather, I went back and completely coated the outside with ModPodge!
Another flower, I loved seeing in my great-grandmother's garden were her brightly colored Vincas.
The hot pink and fuschia really shows off the turquoise- green patina color!
Hope you enjoyed the tutorial!
Have a beautiful day!
xo Christine
Follow on Bloglovin
Sharing at these parties:

Our Mini Linky
Table It
Something to Talk About
Metamorphosis Monday
Merry Monday
LouLou Girls
Treasure Box Tuesday
Inspire Me Monday
Turn it Up Tuesdays
Happiness is Homemade
Worthwhile Wednesday
Home and Garden Thursday
Thursday Favorite Things
Feathered Nest Friday
Home Sweet Home
Foodie Friday and Everything Else
City of Links
Awesome Life Friday

17 comments:

  1. CB,
    That color is beautiful! The pot looks worn and loved. Thanks for the tutorial.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, this is really pretty! Love the patina on it. Don't you think pots with color make flowers pop a little more??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, it looks like a copper pot! You did a great job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine, I love the way you added the metallic sparkle then mixed the green and blue together to create such a pretty patina. It's really creative! Hugs, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that turned out great!! Would be perfect to give as a gift with a pretty flower in it!! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine, I love the story about your grandmother, I have memories of my grandmothers garden as well, so many that I can remember them vividly after years, wow that old,but there was always something going on in preparation.

    I love your pot you have created the colors are great, and your instructions are clear, I bet I could even do something like this.

    Thanks for Co-Hosting with us on #OMHGww this past few months, it has been a pleasure to get to know you and your blog!!!

    Hope you enjoy your week!
    Karren
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Christine, this is gorgeous!! I absolutely love this, the colours are amazing.. :) thank you for sharing your tips.. Off to pin this!! :) have a great week xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I think some colorful flowers will really pop in those! I have enjoyed co-hosting OMHG Wordless Wednesday with you...have a great week!
    Shellie
    www.thefabjourney.co

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the vintage look to that pot! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! I love the color you chose. Thanks for sharing with us at the Merry Mnnday link party. I hope you'll join us again next week! Sharing your post on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet story. Love the colors you decided on and how it came out. Great! Thanks for sharing & co-hosting WW with us this month. Have a fabulous weekend.
    Sarah-Ann @ Living Intentionally Simple

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww! This is so cute!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so amazing! Pinned and tweeted! Thanks for being a part of our party. I hope to see you, Monday at 7 pm. Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the jewel-like colors you chose! If you like, please come share this with Awesome Life Friday. http://rchreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very Cute!! You did a great job!! Now I'm inspired to try! Found you on Mama Buzz!! Hey I would love it if you stopped by my place and shared your stuff on My 2 favorite Things on Thursday - Link Party!! I would love to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! I loved having you!! Hope you can join us again tomorrow!! Pinned to My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday Pinterest page!! :-)

      Delete
  16. It is a beautiful finish! I have been stenciling on pots lately and this would make a pretty background. Thanks for sharing how you did it!

    ReplyDelete