Thursday, June 18, 2015

Lemon Creme Brulee Tart

Have I ever told you the story about the Lemon Meringue pie?

When I was pregnant with my son I craved lemons of all things!
If I knew about preserved lemons back then, I would have probably eaten the whole jar!
Seriously, I would suck the juice straight out of the lemon,
 and not even get that sour look on my face!  

My husband, worked as a manager at a Bakery restaurant,
 and asked me what he could bring home for me; 
you know the usual,
pickles, ice cream,
a Snicker's bar, pizza!

Without hesitation, I said I wanted a lemon meringue pie!
Well he brought me home one, with Meringue thickly piled on a mile high!
He handed me a fork and we sat and talked about our day
End of the story, I ate the whole thing!
It was SO good!



Last week, while I was waiting at the pharmacy, not once but twice for medication, I once again parked myself in the magazine aisle, and started perusing all the new Summer editions.

I don't know why, when I think of lemons, I think only of Spring, because I know for a fact I drink my weight in Lemonade here in the Summertime!

There was this recipe for Lemon crème brulee tart, with Sunflowers and a pretty tablescape, that immediately transported me to a back yard patio, watching the sun set, enjoying a glass of my favorite refreshing beverage, and feel the gentle night breeze, with the heavy, scent of jasmine blossoms all around me!



The first time I had crème brulee was at the resort in California I worked at.
I remember the crunch of the carmalized sugar, as I sunk
my spoon into the heavenly pot of crème.
It was divine.

I couldn't help but imagine how much better it would be with lemon!


This was without a doubt one of the easiest recipes I have made so far.
I've made home made crusts before,
and the whole chilling the dough before, and then rolling it out is so very time consuming!
I don't have time for that right now, I have three children on Summer vacation.

So, it's a simple shortbread, press in the bottom of a Springform pan, crust recipe,
and the filling is no cook, just bake for 30 minutes!
Win-Win situation!
 Plus, my children loved watching their father with a blow torch! =)

The first bite, reminded me of that Meringue pie my husband brought home for me
so long ago....
except this time, it was much more creamier,
and I thought it would be nice to share with my family (and you)!


Lemon Crème Brulee Tart (adapted from Epicurious)
For the crust:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup of butter (2 sticks) of chilled, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 egg yolk (slightly beaten)
1 Tbls. sugar
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp. of pure vanilla extract
For the lemon pie filling:
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbls. sugar
3/4 cup whipping cream
4 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 Tbls. (packed) finely, grated lemon zest
Lemon slices for garnish

  1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar. Make a well in the middle of the flour, to add the egg yolk and vanilla. Cut in the butter, with pastry cutter, until coarse meal forms.
  2. Press into the bottom of a 9-in spring form pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
  3. In another medium mixing bowl, combine the 3/4 cup sugar, whipping cream, eggs, yolks, lemon juice and zest. Pour into cooled crust.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes, until filling is slightly puffed at edges and set in center. You can cool it completely, or I like mine slightly warm.
  5. With the remaining 2 Tbls. sugar, sprinkle on the top of pie. If using your broiler, broil tart until the sugar melts and caramelizes, turning the tart for even browning, about 2 minutes. 
  6. Garnish with lemon slices.
As always, I saved a slice for you!


Have a beautiful day!
Until next time!
xo, Christine

Here are a couple more Lemon recipes for you to try!






Cherishing A Sweet Life
Sharing this at these parties:
Full Plate Thursday
Creative Spark Party
Home and Garden Thrusday
Weekend Reatreat
Foodie Friday and Everything else
Freedom Fridays
Friday's Features
Weekend Bites
Pin Junkie
Let's Get Real Friday
Craft Frenzy Friday
Funtastic Friday
Home Matters Link Party
What to do Weekends
Share Your Style
Something to Talk About
Metamorphosis Monday
Merry Monday
Lou Lou Girls
Treasure Box Tuesday
Inspire Me Monday
Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday
Turn it Up Tuesdays
Happiness is Homemade
Hearth and Soul
Thursday Favorite Things
Home Sweet Home
City of Links

20 comments:

  1. Christine, you have me drooling! I craved lemon meringue pies while pregnant too, but my husband never once brought one home for me! This looks amazing. I have been wanting to make some sort of lemon dessert, but it is so hard to decide. This one won me over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Creme Brulee but will not make it because it always seemed so difficult and time consuming! What a wonderful recipe and looks easy enough! Will be giving this a try! Thanks so much for sharing! BTW...I love Lemon Meringue Pie. My grandmother used to make the best meringue ever!! Have a great one! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CB,
    Thank you so much for saving me a slice ;-) This looks amazing! Hope everyone is feeling better.
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lemon-flavored anything, and this looks perfect for summer! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love lemon, LOVE creme brulee!!! This recipe looks amazing. I can't wait to gie it a try. Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty - we love partying with you! Hope to see you next Friday. :)

    ~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a wonderful lemon dessert. I love that you don't have to mess with the crust too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum, this sounds wonderful! I'm such a sucker for lemon desserts. Thank you so much for linking up at Snickerdoodle Sunday- hope to see you again this weekend!

    Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks mouthwatering, and I am a sucker for any and all things lemon. I am definitely giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We would just love your Lemon Creme Brulee Tart. Thanks so much for sharing your post with Full Plate Thursday and have a great day!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow, does this ever sound amazing! YUM!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore lemon, although I didn't crave it when I was pregnant - for some reason I craved sour cream and onion chips!! I'd much rather have a slice of your lovely Lemon Creme Brulée Tart now! It looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing it with us at the Hearth and Soul hop. Have pinned and will tweet your post. Also followed you on Pinterest, FB & Instagram :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, this looks so good! Thanks for sharing at Merry Monday, hope to see you again tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That tart looks heavenly! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious-- lemons are so summery and this dessert reminds me of my mom's lemon meringue pie. I will be making this soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so delicious and refreshing for summer! I think this would be great in the little ramekins as well. I have enjoyed co-hosting #OMHGWW with you!!

    Shellie
    www.thefabjourney.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must confess I am not much for Lemon although I like Lemon Break and Cake. But i have never had a Pie so I might just have to make this one as it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christine, I love any type of pie.. this looks delicious and I love your story about when you were pregnant.. I bet I would eat th whole thing too.. :) have a fantastic week! I have enjoyed co-hosting #OMHGWW with you, Evija @Fromevijawithlove

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Christine, your creme brulee looks delicious, your dishes are pretty too!!

    Thank you for Co-Hosting the past few month with #OMHGWW I have enjoyed our friendship.
    Hope you have a great week!
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
  19. wooow...lemon creme brulee...gotta try this. I love lemon but never really try it on creme brulle. It must be lovely..

    ReplyDelete