Thursday, March 26, 2015

Why Lemon Poundcake is more tempting than Cinnamon rolls!




When it came to what to bake for our upcoming Easter lunch or dinner,
 I knew, without a shadow of a doubt it had to be made with lemons.
I love the smell of fresh citrus!
The tang of real lemon juice,
and how as crazy as it's sounds I love when it
has that sourness that makes my mouth pucker!
For me it was an easy choice; the lemon poundcake!
Only because I eat cinnamon rolls once a year on
Christmas Day!
(butter, sugar, and eggs)
This is because, growing up we did with what we had.
For breakfast, we didn't have jam, unless it was mom's strawberry jam that she made
but we had sugar and we had cinnamon.
So every morning, that's what my brother and I grew up on, Cinnamon-Sugar toast.
Fast forward twenty years, when I was pregnant with my son, my husband brought home a Lemon meringue pie for me; just for me!
And I did, I ate the whole pie! Don't judge me, this is one thing my son and I love to do together now,
is enjoy a slice of lemon pie together.


And now it gets even better, because my husband's favorite treat in the Summer time is Frozen, yes Frozen,
Not the "Let it Go, Let it Go", Frozen, but stick the pound cake in the freezer until it's Frozen
poundcake.
Again, I love pound cake, don't get me wrong, but for me Lemon is the Wow factor in my poundcake!

Putting twists on recipes is what I like best, something different to try!
Has anyone heard these song lyrics before...
"Put a lime in a coconut..."
So that's just what I came up with; and the only way this recipe will give you a stomach ache, is if you eat it all up!
Lemon Poundcake with Lime-Coconut glaze!
It's luscious.
It's lovely,
and best of all it's lemony!
That is why Lemon Poundcake is better than Cinnamon rolls!
 Yay or Nay!
Here I've saved a slice for you!
Lemon Poundcake with Lime-Coconut glaze (adapted from Land O' Lakes)

Cake



2 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter , softened to room temperature
4  Eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (I used milk, and 1 Tbls. of lemon juice. Let that sit for 5 minutes)
1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Glaze

1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbls. lime juice
1 to 2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup sweetened coconut, toasted
Zest of one lime

Directions



1. Preheat oven to 325°F. On a baking sheet, spread coconut out in a thin layer. Toast for 5-10 minutes. Check often, ( I did about every 2 minutes) and remove the toasted coconut around the edges. Be careful, because it does toast up quickly. Set aside.
 
2. Grease a 12-cup bundt pan.

3. Combine sugar and butter in bowl at medium speed; until creamy. Scrape down sides of bowl. Continue beating, adding 1 egg at a time, until well mixed. Mixture should look creamy, and fluffy.


4. In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat at low speed, gradually adding flour;  alternately with buttermilk and then scraping down the sides each time, until well mixed. Add lemon zest and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice. Continue beating until well mixed.

5. Pour  batter into prepared pan. The recipe says to bake for 55-65 minutes, mine was finished a little less than 55. I would start checking your cake at 50 minutes, for golden browness, the sides of the cake pull away from the pan, and if the top of the cake, springs back when touched slightly. Cool in pan. Again, very important, wait until the bundt cake is completely cooled, then invert onto serving plate.

6.Stir together powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and enough water for desired glazing consistency in small bowl. Drizzle over cooled cake. Sprinkle with lime zest and toasted coconut.

Here are a couple more Lemon recipes for you to try!





Until Next time! xo Christine

10 comments:

  1. Oh yum!!! Thank you for linking up to Wordless Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those flavors sound wonderful together.... yumm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love citrus with coconut! I make a different version of this, but I'm happy to add yours to my collection. This looks perfect for Easter Sunday.

    Thanks so much for sharing! Pinning.

    ~Heather @ My Overflowing Cup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness gracious this looks good! I love lemon too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely going on my list of things to make as this is my favorite kind of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to make your fabulous Pound Cake! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a very special weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE and I truly mean LOVE Lemon Poundcake. Reading this post made my mouth water, and I almost sent the bf to the store to go pick some up! You are absolutely right. It is MUCH better than cinnamon rolls - any day of the week! Thanks for Hosting at the Oh My Heartsie Girl Wordless Wednesday! I look forward to seeing you again next week!
    Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't agree with you more. Lemon desserts? Divine. This is making me drool (sorry). Congrats on being featured in this weeks #wakeupwednesdaylinkyparty :-)

    Beauty Isles | An Island Girl's Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! You are so talented. Pinned and tweeted. Thanks for being a part of our party. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm. Happy Easter! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love lemons and lemon cakes, this sounds so fresh and zingy with the inclusion of a lime glaze. This has been featured as one of my favourites over at Sweet and Savoury Sunday. Stop by, grab a button and link up again with us this week. Have a great day! Laura@ Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete