Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Greek Lemon-Basil Chicken soup


When my oldest daughter had the flu, she only wanted Minestrone soup. Even to this day, when she's sick this is what comforts her and gets her feeling better. This is also one of my husband's favorite soups, and while I'm not a huge fan of Minestrone, when I added my touch of a Lemon-Basil butter to finish the soup, it changed my whole world, simply for the fact that I love anything with lemons in it.




The first step is to make the Lemon-Basil butter. Basically it's about 1 cup of Basil chopped, 1/2 cup butter, softened, but not melted, the juice of 1 lemon, 1 Tbls. minced garlic and a pinch of salt. All mixed together, and refrigerated for an hour.


In two small batches, sauté half the bag of spinach with 1/2 Tbls. lemon butter. Wilt the spinach, until it is reduced in size by about half. Repeat with the remaing half. Set aside.


Usually I use chicken breast or tenders, but this week, chicken wasn't on special, so I picked up some chicken thighs. Again, if I buy thighs I usually buy boneless, but couldn't find any. Truth be told, I like chicken thighs, their fat, adds so much flavor to a dish, that I thought this would be perfect for the soup. I sautéed the chicken thighs on medium high heat, in 1 Tbls. of lemon-butter for about 12 minutes on each side, until the skin is a crisp golden brown, and the juices run clear. I cooked six thighs, in two batches.



While the chicken is cooking. To a large stock pot, I added the chicken stock, tomatoes, white beans, spinach and shells. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium, and cook the shells for about 8-10 minutes.


After the chicken is fully cooked,  the juices run clear, set aside for 5 minutes to cool. After slightly cooled, shred the chicken off the bone and add to the soup. Then add the Kalamata olives.

I love this part. One day I will share my Nana's Clam Chowder recipe, but this is what I love about finishing soups. She told me that her mother told her, after ladling the soup, and before serving the soup, place about 1 tsp. of butter on the top of the soup. She told me it's this loving touch that gives the soup it's rich flavor. And she was right. Every time I do this, it really makes the soup complete with the added extra touch of butter and basil. Hope this soup warms you up on a cold winter's day!

Greek Lemon-Basil Chicken soup
Lemon-Basil Butter:
1 cup basil chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) of softened butter
Juice of one lemon
pinch of salt
1 Tbls. minced garlic
Soup:
6 chicken thighs, sautéed and shredded
6 cups chicken broth
1- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
Salt and Pepper
1- 15 oz. can white beans, drained
1- 16oz. box of shell pasta
10 oz. fresh spinach
1/4 cup Kalamata olives
1. In a small bowl add 1 cup of Basil chopped, 1/2 cup butter, softened, but not melted, the juice of 1 lemon, 1 Tbls. minced garlic and a pinch of salt. All mixed together, and refrigerated for an hour.
2. In two small batches, sauté half the bag of spinach with 1/2 Tbls. lemon butter. Wilt the spinach, until it is reduced in size by about half. Repeat with the remaing half. Set aside.
3. Sauté the chicken thighs on medium high heat, in 1 Tbls. of lemon-butter for about 12 minutes on each side, until the skin is a crisp golden brown, and the juices run clear. I cooked six thighs, in two batches.
4. In a large stock pot, add the chicken stock, tomatoes, white beans, spinach and shells. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium, and cook the shells for about 8-10 minutes.
5.  When the chicken is fully cooked,  the juices run clear, set aside for 5 minutes to cool. After slightly cooled, shred the chicken off the bone and add to the soup. Then add the Kalamata olives.
6. Ladle the soup into bowls. Just before serving add 1 tsp. of the Lemon-Basil butter to melt on top.
Serve with crusty Italian bread!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I don't think I would have to be sick to want this soup :) Sounds perfectly delicious! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious I would have to leave the Olives out though, Thanks for linking up to Pin Worthy Wednesday, I have pinned your post to the Pin Worthy Wednesday Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could use this soup today to warm me up! Thanks so much for sharing at Totally Terrific Tuesday! I hope you stop by to link up with us again this week. Remember the party starts tonight at 10pm!
    Christie ~ Sparkles of Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy!! Looks so good!! Thanks for Sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday - Link Party. Hope you come back again tomorrow to share some more stuff!! Pinned!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even just the name of this soup is delicious. Great recipe for the cold winter weather we are having. Thanks for linking it up at This Is How We Roll Thursday.

    ReplyDelete