Thursday, October 29, 2015

Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt cake with Cheesecake filling

Can you believe that October is almost over,
 and Halloween is just a few days away?

So far this week has been going fine, 
Katelyn has a school dance on Friday,
oh, wish my husband good luck
he's having his wisdom teeth out Friday, 
and Josh gets to pass out the candy on Halloween!
He's actually looking forward to it
{not the wisdom teeth extraction, the passing out the Treats}!



Onto today's recipe, if you are one of the tens of people that read my blog, especially
in February for Valentines Day, then you know how much I love chocolate, and after all 
the Valentine's Chocolate, I made a chocolate strawberry cake,
and Easy Dark Chocolate Nutella brownies,
all in the same week, I was this close to saying how I'd had enough chocolate. 
What was I thinking! You can never have enough chocolate!

And here we are, approaching another Holiday, where we
giveaway chocolate, and then spend the next couple of weeks, 
{or days} enjoying it!

This past weekend, as I was getting over a cold,
and finishing up painting my daughter Katelyn's room for the 
ORC, {the color just happens to be Valsper's Dark Truffle}
it didn't occur to me, that after reading Carlee's comment,
that it might have been my cold,
because the paint smelled like chocolate.
I almost considered licking the wall to find out, but then
thought that would be gross, and decided to bake a cake instead!



A quick story, I went to a thrift store, it's next to my favorite book store,
and I as I pass by the china, and stem wares, I came upon my first brown Ironstone
set, but I was disappointed, because it had been picked to pieces, rather than
someone buying the whole set! I would have gotten the dinner plate, but it had 
a huge crack down the side, and it was the last one. 
There was however, a small saucer left, and I've been wanting to take a picture 
with something on it, so this prop came at the perfect timing.

Here's a great tip, if you need to find props for your photos, but 
you don't have a ton of money budgeted.
Go down and peruse your local thrift store, 
you'd be surprised at what you could find!



Back to the recipe, I promise not to go off the subject,
one of my new favorite blogs is  Shutterbean,
and if you get a chance check on over there,
she has the most prettiest of everything 
you possibly could imagine for inspiration.
Or check her out on Instagram!

I was looking for a chocolate bundt cake recipe, and
her recipe was exactly what I was looking for!
The recipe she found was from 


The icing was perfectly glossy, the cake looked super moist, and not too dense.
She even tempted me with a bite!
I was hooked!
So for today, I'm taking on her recipe, and adding a twist,
because I love my bundt cakes filled, 
especially when they are filled with cheesecake!!

Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt cake with Cheesecake filling (adapted from Shutterbean)

For the cake
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon  salt
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the glaze
  • 4 ounces unsweeted chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar (or corn syrup)
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
For the Cheesecake
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp. flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Make the cake:
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 10- or 12-cup Bundt pan and set aside.
In a small saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, salt, and water and put over medium heat. Cook, stirring, just until melted and combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Put the flour, sugar, and baking soda in a large bowl and whisk to blend. Add half of the melted-butter mixture and whisk until completely blended (it will be very thick). Add the remaining butter mixture and whisk. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking each to blend completely before adding the next. Whisk in the sour cream and vanilla until smooth.
Make the Cheesecake filling, using a stand up mixer, blend the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, flour and egg in a mixing bowl until well blended.
Pour 2/3 of the cake batter into the prepared pan, and then layer the cheesecake filling in the center, top the cheesecake filling with the remaining cake batter, and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 55-60 minutes.
Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a rack. Let cool completely before making the glaze.
Make the glaze:
Put the chopped chocolate and agave nectar in a medium bowl and set aside.
Combine the heavy cream and sugar in a small saucepan and put over medium heat. Stir constantly until the cream is hot and the sugar is dissolved. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. If it’s very runny, let it sit for a minute or so to thicken. Drizzle over the cake.



As always, I saved you a slice!
Wishing you a beautiful weekend, and
a Happy Halloween!
Until next time! xo,
Sharing at these Parties!
 You can follow me here!

Twitter | Bloglovin | Google+ | Facebook Pinterest




5 comments:

  1. Yummy cake recipe...you always seem to have the greatest cake recipes to share (and adding pounds to my waist by looking) and such a beautiful plate! Hope the hubby does well with the wisdom teeth...that is not a fun thing at all. I had mine done over Thanksgiving when I was a senior in high school...I was miserable! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you went with the cake instead of the wall! ;-) I hope the dance and the wisdom teeth go well. Have a happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm...chocolateee...my kids just can't get enough of it..super yuuum :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be a delicious treat. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great day!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy--glad you didn't lick the wall/paint😃. I took a class this weekend presented by Janell Brown who won Cupcake Wars awhile back and she included sour cream in her recipes, too! Great to be co-hosting with you at #OMHGWW.

    ReplyDelete